New national restrictions are in place. Make sure you know what to do to Protect Portsmouth.
This joint statement has been agreed by Cllr Suzy Horton, Cabinet Member for Education, Children and Families at Portsmouth City Council, and the chairs of the primary and secondary head teachers in Portsmouth.
Parents will be aware that the government has set out an aim for more children to attend school from 1 June if the conditions are right for them to do so. The government has published several sets of guidance for schools, academy trusts and local councils on this. Here is the latest Department for Education announcement on opening schools.
There is also more information in the government’s guidance to parents and carers on reopening schools.
The following key points are very important for parents to note:
1. It is not definite that more children can go to school on 1 June. Please do not send your child to school unless you have heard from your child’s school that this will be possible and what the arrangements will be.
2. Discussions are currently continuing between the government and the teacher unions and this may lead to further guidance which we will need to take into account.
3. In Portsmouth schools are working hard to explore ways in which the government guidance might be applied so that more children can attend school. They are also working hard to support children in their learning at home.
4. Everything we are doing needs to be guided by the best possible evidence and science about keeping everyone – children and school staff – as safe as possible. That is our most important consideration.
5. Schools will be in touch with parents as soon as they can about what arrangements might be possible, but please bear with us as this may take some time. We must also be guided by the government.
Information on this website will be reviewed regularly in the light of the latest guidance and developments.
|Lucy Wilby and Jane Bush|
Co-chairs of primary heads
|Cllr Suzy Horton|
Cabinet Member for Education, Children and Families
Chair of secondary heads