If you have a comment, compliment or complaintLast updated: 22 August 2012 09:28
If you have a comment or compliment
We would like to hear from you if you have a suggestion about how we can improve our service or if you are happy with any part of the service you have received. You can do this in person or by letter, email or telephone - see our contact details below.
If you have a complaint
We take complaints very seriously. While we try to provide a good service, we know that sometimes things go wrong so we have developed a complaints procedure for you to use if you feel that this is the case.
We aim to sort out complaints quickly and fairly. We will try to sort out any mistake or misunderstanding straight away, but sometimes it may take longer. If this is the case, we will tell you how long it will take.
A complaint is usually about a specific incident, such as:
- the way in which we responded to your original problem
- the attitude or behaviour of our staff
- our failure to meet our standards of performance
Our customer promise
If you think that we have broken our promises, or if you feel we have made a mistake, we take that very seriously. We will:
- make sure you know how to make your voice heard through our complaints procedure
- train our staff so they know how to deal with your complaint
- acknowledge your complaint within five working days
- respond fully within 10 working days for a first-stage complaint, 15 working days for a second-stage complaint and 20 working days for a third-stage complaint
- investigate your complaint thoroughly and without taking sides
- keep your complaint confidential and be fair to everybody involved
- let you know the progress of your complaint
- apologise when we’ve made a mistake, and take steps immediately to fix the problem
- learn lessons from where we’ve gone wrong in order to make sure we don’t make the same mistakes in the future
How to contact us
- Call on 023 9283 4702
- Visit us in person
- Write to
The comments, compliments and complaints team, Portsmouth City Council,
Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2ZX
- Use our online compliment, comment or complaint form
- Send an email to email@example.com
If you need an interpreter or sign-language interpreter, we can arrange this for you. We will usually need seven days’ notice to set this up.
A leaflet is available for young people so they can make any comments, compliments or complaints. For more information please call 023 9284 1172.
Investigation of complaints that a councillor may have breached the code of conduct forms part of the Governance and Audit and Standards Committee's role (GAS Committee). Use the link below for more information.
Complaints Satisfaction SurveyThe results of the corporate complaints satisfaction survey are currently being collated and will be published shortly.
Associated documents:How to make a comment or complaint (0.46 MB) Comment, compliment or complaint leaflet audio version (large file) (21.98 MB) Annual social care complaints report 2009-2010 (0.06 MB) Comment, compliment or complaint leaflet for children supported by social care (0.22 MB) Annual social care complaints report 2008-2009 (0.05 MB) Annual social care complaints report 2007-2008 (0.08 MB) Annual social care complaints report 2010-2011 (0.06 MB) Local Government Ombudsman’s annual review, 31 March 2009 (0.05 MB) Local Government Ombudsman's annual review, 31 March 2010 (0.81 MB) Corporate complaints policy (0.03 MB) Persistent complaints policy (0.03 MB) Corporate compensation policy (0.03 MB) Complaints statistics - 2008 - 2009 (0.02 MB) Complaints statistics - 2010/2011 (0.15 MB) Local Government Ombudsman's annual review - 31 March 2011 (0.59 MB) Children's Social Care - Annual Report : Complaints & Compliments 2009/10 (0.04 MB) Children's Social Care - Annual Report : Complaints & Compliments 2010/11 (0.05 MB) Children's Social Care and Safeguarding - Annual report : Complaints & Compliments 2011/12 (0.06 MB) Annual Social Care Complaints Report 2011-2012 (0.09 MB)
Comment, compliment or complaint?Governance & audit & standards committee
Corporate complaints process
How to make a complaint about adult social care
How to make a complaint about children and families social care
If something has happened at school