Bulky waste collectionsLast updated: 01 February 2013 15:19 UK
If you have rubbish too big to put out with your sack / dustbin collection – like:
- old beds
- other items
- donate to charities
- use one of the on-line recycling swap shops, like freecycle or free2collect
- advertise for sale or offer for free in local shops and newspapers or ebay
- sell to local second hand furniture companies
- take it to the Portsmouth recycling centre – it’s free
- have a look at our waste directory for alternative ways to dispose of it
- book a special bulky waste collection with the council or a local waste disposal company
Booking a bulky waste collection with the council
The council offers a chargeable bulky waste collection service to pick up the more awkward items of rubbish from your home and dispose of them in the correct way.
A limited number of subsidised bulky waste collections is available to help residents who may need assistance. Residents who receive specified social benefits may be eligible to apply. Demand is very high, so, to avoid disappointment, before applying for a subsidised collection, please consider the other options listed above to re-use, recycle or dispose of the things you don’t want.
Bulky waste collections take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Residents can ring the City Helpdesk any day on 023 9283 4092 to book a chargeable collection.
The cost of the service depends on the size of the things that you want us to collect, with prices starting from £30 (VAT exempt) to collect and dispose of approximately one cubic metre of rubbish.
If you cancel the booking you will receive a full refund, unless we have already attended to make the collection. In this case, a minimum of £20 will be charged, to cover costs.
Free bulky waste collections
The booking system for ‘free’ collections has changed. There is a high demand, and in the past residents may have had to apply for a collection several months in a row. Now:
- residents can still apply for up to 2 ‘free’ collections each year, if they are eligible
- call from Tuesday onwards each week to apply for a free collection for the following week
- if all the slots are gone, callers will hear a call-waiting message that will let them know, so they don’t have to hang on the line.
- if the caller is not allocated a free collection, they can call from the next Tuesday and from every Tuesday after that to apply
To book a bulky waste collection contact the City Helpdesk on 023 9283 4092
Booking a bulky waste collection with an alternative waste collection company
Householders have a duty of care to ensure that their waste is disposed of legally and responsibly. This means you must ensure that anyone taking waste away from your home has a waste carrier’s licence and that they give you a written notification of how they will be disposing of your waste.
Put simply this means that if you give your DIY rubbish or the contents of your old shed to a ‘man with a van’ and he subsequently fly tips it or disposes of it illegally, you are responsible. You could be taken to court and currently be fined up to £5,000. Please protect yourself - take reasonable measures to check that household waste produced on your property is passed on to an authorised person.
To ensure that the person removing your waste is authorised visit the Environment Agency website to check if they are a registered waste carrier.
Landlord black sack bulky collections
We now offer chargeable bulky waste collections to help landlords and managing agents dispose of domestic refuse left by tenants in vacated properties. To find out how this service may be able to help you call the city helpdesk on 023 9283 4092.