RubbishLast updated: 09 May 2013 15:31 UK
The following information will give you a good overview of what to do with your rubbish and recycling in Portsmouth.
If you require any further help, please call our city helpdesk on 023 9283 4092 or email email@example.com
What day is my rubbish collected?
- general, household rubbish should be put in robust black sacks
- if you live in a house these sacks will be collected weekly on the same day as your recycling (see My collection day)
- if you live in a flat all you need to do is put your black sacks in your shared rubbish bin and it will be collected from where it is
- large and electrical items will not be collected with your normal rubbish - see 'bulky items' below for how to deal with them
- garden waste will not be collected with your normal black sack rubbish - see 'garden waste' below for how to deal with it
- healthcare waste (domestic) should not be put out with your normal black sack rubbish - see our healthcare waste advice page
Read more information on where to store your rubbish and where to place it on collection day.
Before you throw away…
Tips to help you to reduce the amount of rubbish you need to store each week:
- buy refills and loose groceries
- use re-usable shopping bags
- recycle paper, card, cans and plastic bottles in your wheelie bin or green box
- recycle bottles, jars, clothes, shoes, books and other items in your local recycling bring banks across the city
- donate unwanted items to charities and schemes such as Freecycle and Free2collect
- stop junk mail
- Reduce, reuse, recycle - more information on how to minimise your waste
- this means all your drinks cans, food cans, plastic bottles, cardboard, paper and empty aerosols - more information on exactly what can and can't be recycled from your home can be found in What can I do with this?
- if you live in a house put all recycling in your council supplied green recycling bin/box clean and loose (no carrier bags or black sacks please) and it will be collected fortnightly on the same day (see 'your collection days')
- if you live in a flat all you need to do is put your recycling clean and loose into your shared recycling bin and it will be collected from where it is - see more about recycling from flats
- items like glass, textiles, books and CDs can't be put in your green recycling bin at home, but can be easily recycled at a local recycling point near your home
- items such as TVs, furniture, wood, fridges and garden waste won't be collected with your normal rubbish
- you can take this for free to the Portsmouth recycling centre
- or you can pay a fee for it to be collected from your house - find out more information on bulky waste collections
- garden waste will not be collected with your normal rubbish in black sacks
- you can either:
If you are a business
Your waste is dealt with differently. Please read our information for businesses.
If you are a school
Read more about our Waste Reduction in Portsmouth Schools (WRiPS) programme. WRiPS is a completely free service to all Portsmouth schools and can help to physically reduce the amount of waste in schools, increase recycling or just raise these important issues among the pupils in a fun and interactive way.
These are the basics of waste management in Portsmouth, but please view the rest of the rubbish and recycling website for more information and advice.
If you require any further help, please call our city helpdesk on 9283 4092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
or write to Waste Management, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, PO1 2AZ
Associated documents:Recycling and refuse provision in residential developments in Portsmouth (1.00 MB)
More collection informationRubbish and recycling collection day changes
Where and when is my rubbish and recycling collected?
What rubbish can and can't I put out for collection?
What if my rubbish has been missed?
Bulky waste collections
What we do with your rubbish
Waste management in Portsmouth