RubbishLast updated: 30 July 2013 10:37 UK
Portsmouth City Council is responsible for collecting and disposing of household waste.
Household waste collections are conducted weekly - follow the link to find out your waste collection day.
Further information on collections is available on our rubbish and recycling frequently asked questions, which includes answers to:
- Why hasn't my recyling or rubbish been collected?
- Can I get help carrying out my rubbish and recycling?
- Where can I get containers for my rubbish and recycling?
Find out more about recycling and waste prevention, or for further information on rubbish, please see the guidelines below:
- General household rubbish should be put in robust black sacks
- If you live in a flat all you need to do is put your black sacks in your shared rubbish bin and it will be collected from there
- There are a number of items we won't take as part of a waste collection, such as healthcare waste - please follow the link what to do with your rubbish and recycling for more details
- Bulky and electrical items such as TVs or furniture, and garden waste won't be collected with your normal rubbish - you will need to book a bulky waste collection or use Portsmouth recycling centre
- You may also join the Green Waste Club to have your garden waste collected
Reduce the amount of rubbish you produce each week
- Buy refills and loose groceries
- Take re-usable bags when you go shopping
- Recycle paper, card, cans and plastic bottles in your wheelie bin or green box
- More on recycling
Business waste is dealt with differently to household waste - please read our information on business waste for more details.
Project Integra and further waste information
Portsmouth City Council is a part of Project Integra which is a partnership of local authorities in Hampshire working together to improve waste collection and disposal.
This enables local authorities to make best use of shared infrastructure and maximise recycling through collective bargaining on contracts for the sale of recyclable materials. More information is available from the websites listed below:
- Biffa - Portsmouth’s domestic waste collection contractor
- Veolia Environmental Services - Hampshire's waste disposal contractor
- Project Integra
- Recycle For Hampshire - awareness campaign for Project Integra
- Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP) - an organisation that supports local authorities on waste issues
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Recycle.co.uk - provides information on what you can recycle and where
- Waste Data Flow - where local authorities report data on waste and recycling to the Government
If you still need further help, please contact City helpdesk or write to Waste Management, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, PO1 2AZ.
Associated documents:Recycling and refuse provision in residential developments in Portsmouth (1.00 MB)
More collection informationChanges to rubbish and recycling collections
Rubbish and recycling collections - FAQs
Bulky waste collections