Portsmouth recycling centreLast updated: 06 February 2014 15:57 UK
Adverse weather may lead to temporary closure of the Portsmouth Recycling Centre due to flooding. Residents intending to visit the site are advised to call ahead on 023 92219819 to check availability.
Residents can also use the following alternative sites:
- Havant Household Waste Recycling Centre, Harts Farm Way, Havant, PO9 1JN
- Waterlooviolle Household Waste Recycling Centre, Old Park Farm, Waterlooville, PO7 7TH
Portsmouth recycling centre at Port Solent is very popular and often gets busy, especially on nice sunny weekends and bank holidays. To save waiting, try to visit during the week, or at the beginning or end of the day. The recycling centre opening times are:
- April to September - 8am to 7pm
- October to February - 8am to 4pm (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year’s Day)
- March - 8am to 5pm.
Please leave yourself enough time to arrive and unload your waste before the site is due to close, particularly if you have a significant amount to dispose of.
What can I take to Portsmouth recycling centre?
You may not need to go to Port Solent - check the page what to do with your waste and recycling to find out if your item can be left in your household recycling bin, household waste bin, taken to a local recycling point or whether or not it is accepted at Portsmouth recycling centre.
For example, there are a few items of hazardous waste which can't be taken to the recycling centre.
If you are still unsure, phone Portsmouth recycling centre on 023 9221 9819 to confirm. Other Hampshire waste and recycling centres accept different items.
75% of items brought to the recycling centre are recycled, including used cooking oil, and garden waste - which is turned into a soil conditioner sold on site.
However, you can also get rid of non-recyclables, such as items not accepted at city recycling points or bottle banks, anything you can't put in your recycling or composting bin, and goods too large to fit into your household rubbish collection.
Some materials are not classified as either household or garden waste and, as such, Portsmouth recycling centre is not obliged to accept them, such as construction and demolition waste.
However, to help residents, you can dispose of a limited quantity of waste materials from small-scale domestic DIY projects. Limited quantity means up to six bags (90 litres) or an equivalent car-boot full per month.
Hire a skip or grab bag from a reputable company if you have a larger quantity of construction and demolition waste.
How to find Portsmouth recycling centrePortsmouth recycling centre is behind the marina on Port Way, Port Solent, PO6 4UD. Contact the site by phone on 023 9221 9819.
Access restrictions at the recycling centre
There are some restrictions on the height, length and weight of vehicles entering Portsmouth recycling centre to prevent wrongful use by traders and businesses.
- Height barrier - vehicles should be able to pass under the height barrier of 5ft 9ins or 1.75m. The height barrier is in operation most days. It opens all day Friday, and on Saturday mornings between 8am and midday.
- Permit scheme - residents who use a commercial-type vehicle or trailer to dispose of their own household waste at the recycling centre need to apply for a permit. The permit allows you to use your vehicle up to twelve times a year at any of the Hampshire Waste and Recycling Centres (HRWC). Follow the link for more details on the HWRC Permit Scheme and apply for a permit online. Cars and 4x4s do not need permits.
Trailers longer than 3m, or vehicles heavier than 3.5 tonnes will not be allowed in.
Facilities at Portsmouth recycling centre
- 25 parking spaces, deliberately designed without disabled parking spaces, so that people with mobility problems can park closest to the bin they wish to use.
- 14 unloading bays
- Container for recycling used cooking oil
- Second-hand sales area, where you can donate an item in good condition that can be resold and reused rather than thrown away. Or look for a bargain yourself. Income from these sales helps reduce the site's running costs. Please speak to a member of staff if you think you have something suitable.
- Pro-grow for sale. An environmentally sustainable soil conditioner made from garden waste collected at the site available to buy.
Staff are on hand if you need any help lifting items from your vehicle to the bins.