RecyclingLast updated: 02 October 2013 17:26 UK
Portsmouth City Council is committed to increasing recycling across the city.
- Follow the link to find out what to do with your rubbish and recycling
- Find out more about the Portsmouth BIG Recycle reward scheme
All the paper, card, cans and plastic bottles that we collect are taken to the Materials Recovery Facility in Copnor - follow the link to Veolia's website for more information.
Recycling collection days and calendars
Recycling collections are made every two weeks by our collections contractor Biffa.
To find out when your recycling is collected, enter your postcode into the collection day search, choose your address, then click on the 'Recycle' tab.
You will be presented with a day for collection, and most residents will also be shown whether their collection is scheduled for week one or week two, along with upcoming collection dates and any planned seasonal changes.
- When you know your week, view the recycling collection day calendars
- Or follow the link for other circumstances which might cause changes to rubbish and recycling collection days.
Further information on collections is available on our rubbish and recycling frequently asked questions, which includes answers to:
- Why hasn't my recyling or rubbish been collected?
- Can I get help carrying out my rubbish and recycling?
- Where can I get containers for my rubbish and recycling?
Reduce, reuse and recycle
We promote online reuse networks such as Freecycle, with the aim of increasing reuse and recycling of items.
If you have items that are in good condition and could be reused by someone else, consider selling them at a car boot sale, or giving them away to charity.
Local charity shops accept donations of items in good condition, such as clothes, appliances, furniture and bric-a-brac - alternatively, you can give away and receive items for free on reuse websites such as Freecycle, Freegle, Reuze and Ecobees.
Find more information on reducing, reusing and recycling please see the table below, or look further down the page for recycling points around Portsmouth:
Recycling points around Portsmouth
As well as Portsmouth Recycling Centre, there are over 50 conveniently-placed recycling points around the city where you can recycle items that cannot be collected for recycling from your home.
Items include glass of any colour, clothes, textiles and shoes, books, DVDs, videos, CDs and tapes - visit Recycle Now's bank locator for recycling point locations.
Tips for use:
- only use the glass banks between 8am and 8pm
- take your bags and boxes home with you after emptying
- if the bank is full please don’t leave items on the pavement - take your items home and try again later or use another bank
- to report a collection bank being full (or vandalised) please contact City Helpdesk
Recycling - further informationRubbish and recycling collections - FAQs
What to do with your waste and recycling
Recycling collection day calendars