Walking and cycling to schoolLast updated: 05 December 2012 15:09 UK
Portsmouth has the highest walk to school rate in the country with over 70% of our children walking to school every day.
Walking and cycling are healthy, economical and fun. Not only will they give your children the chance to develop their road skills, but walking and cycling in numbers will add to everyone’s safety.Benefits of walking and cycling
- keep fit
- teach your children road safety skills
- less stressful than looking for safe parking spaces
- find out more about the local environment
- reduce your carbon footprint
- save money
- time to talk to your child and other people
- less cars on the road at peak times means the roads are safer for everyone
Portsmouth City Council helps local infant and junior schools to run the Walk to School campaign and Bikeablity training. Schools are also offered additional road safety education to support walking and cycling to school safely.
The Department for Transport offers advice on setting up a walking bus for your school.