Concessionary faresLast updated: 14 June 2013 12:22 UK
We operate a concessionary travel scheme to assist qualifying residents with their travel costs and to promote the use of public transport.
Where you can use your bus pass?
If you're eligible for a free bus pass, you can use it anywhere in England during 'off peak' times. Off-peak is:
• between 9.30 am and 11.00 pm Monday to Friday
• all day at weekends and on public holidays
The bus pass only covers travel in England. It doesn't give you free bus travel in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Who is eligible for an older person's bus pass?
If you live in England, you'll be entitled to a bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses when you reach 'eligible age'. If you were born after 5 April 1950, the age you become eligible is tied to changes in the State Pension age for women. This affects both men and women.
To check out your eligibility check the "State Pension Age Calculator", click on male or female and enter your date of birth.
Who is eligible for a disabled person's bus pass?
The scheme is available to anyone:
- aged over 5 who is registered with a qualifying disability
- who has a medical condition that prevents them from driving, please contact us for more information on 023 9268 8599.
You are an eligible disabled person if you:
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without speech
- have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
- do not have arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability - a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning, or
- would have an application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to your disability.
To qualify for a bus pass on age or disabled grounds, the city council will need to see:
- Proof of disability, ie Disabled Living Allowance (DLA) with mobility component, blue badge or registration with Social Care (yellow card).
- Proof of Portsmouth address, ie council tax bill, housing benefit, rent book, electoral registration or utility bill.
- Proof of age, ie birth certificate, passport, driving licence or medical card.
No other forms of proof are acceptable. You will also need to provide a passport quality photograph.
Residents who are registered blind are eligible for a bus pass, which additionally allows free travel locally all day, please call 023 9268 8599 for more information.
Eligible residents can be issued with a companion pass, which allows a companion to travel with them free of charge. To check out your eligibility for the “companion pass.”
New applicants may apply in person, as soon as they become eigible. Passes will be sent out by post, and are valid for up to 5 years (currently until 31 March 2014).
Personal Independence Payments
The Government is currently undertaking a significant review and reorganisation of its state benefit provisions. As part of this it is introducing Personal Independence Payments (PIP) which, in time, will replace the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
When further information becomes available on how this change will impact on the eligibility criteria for disabled people we will update this page.
Because there is a cost associated with replacing a pass an administration fee of £10 is payable for replacing damaged, defaced or lost passes. If your pass is stolen please report this to the police who will provide you with a crime reference number. If a Police crime reference number is provided we will verify this and issue a replacement card without charge. If the card requires replacement because of a technical problem with the card will also be replaced free of charge.
The replacement cost of the pass will be payable in advance. The fee is not refundable should a lost pass be found at a later date.
We operate a travel tokens scheme for eligible residents with disabilities. The tokens can be used for taxis and various other forms of travel. Eligible residents can receive either tokens or a bus pass.
Applicants for tokens receive a proportion of the full year’s amount depending when they join the scheme. They receive one set of tokens per year. For more details please call 023 9284 1346.
How to contact us
If you have any queries, please call the Concessionary Fare Office help line on 023 9268 8599. You can also visit us we are on the ground floor of the Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth.