D-Day MuseumLast updated: 07 November 2012 12:16 UK
The D-Day Museum was opened in 1984 to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of D-Day.
Its centrepiece is the magnificent Overlord Embroidery commissioned by Lord Dulverton of Batsford (1915-92) as a tribute to the sacrifice and heroism of those men and women who took part in Operation Overlord.
The D-Day Museum will undergo refurbishment to its entrance façade in September 2012 to make it more inviting and welcoming whilst taking the opportunity to re-brand the existing signage to incorporate Portsmouth Visitor Information Service, who moved on site in late summer 2011.
The main project improvements are to provide a double glazed frameless entrance, automatic bi-parting entrance doors, vinyl graphics to glazed entrance screens plus new external signage.
Although hoardings will surround the building, it will be open during these refurbishments and access will be at the back of the Museum via the café. The current project was completed in October 2012 but due to vandalism, the doors are to be replaced in December 2012.
D-Day Museum and Overlord Embroidery
Southsea, PO5 3NT
If you wish to contact the D-Day Museum, please do this through the City Museum.