School library serviceLast updated: 16 October 2013 13:47 UK
Portsmouth City Council's school library service is dedicated to providing library services for city schools, offering advice and support to school staff on all aspects of running school library resource centres and classroom book collections, including books to borrow or buy, training and advice for school staff and annual events.
With over 25,000 books on our shelves we have probably the biggest collection of children’s books in the area, catering for all age groups from early years through to key stage 4.
Books borrowed from Portsmouth school library service now comes fitted with the Accelerated Reader (AR) information grid. We are developing and will be offering more Accelerated Reader material.
We can help with:
- library planning, improvement planning and policy creation
- stock work and development
- statistical reports on library performance to inform self evaluation
- library shelving and layout advice
- library staff recruitment and training
- computerised library management systems
- advice on reader development initiatives, book events and author visits.
Teachers and school library staff are welcome to visit the school library service centre and select books. Our friendly, well-informed staff are always ready to help you choose.
The school library service centre is at the Paulsgrove Primary School, Cheltenham Road, PO6 3PL (satnav users PO6 3PY). Parking is available for visitors.
For more information, email email@example.com or phone 023 92326612 (24hrs).
Book loan services for schools
We offer a broad range of high quality, up-to-date books to support national strategies for primary and secondary schools and reading for pleasure. Schools borrow two to three items per pupil.
We have books to tempt the most reluctant readers and to extend the more able and exchange a large proportion of this collection every year, and this cost-effective stock rotation means schools can easily:
- obtain the newest books just published
- meet changing topic needs
- respond to pupil generated requests
- replace worn books.
Our stock includes:
- picture books for younger readers
- story books for all age groups and stories on CD
- information books
- dual language material in45 different languages
- fiction in large print format
Bookshop for schools
With over 3,500 titles to choose from, this specialist bookshop is only available to local schools. It offers unrivalled choice of primary and secondary school books with the best fiction books to inspire readers, and information books for the curriculum and to promote wider interests:
- buy new books at 25% discount
- new books constantly offered
- view before you buy to avoid expensive mistakes;
- books arrive with standard servicing: plastic jackets and spine labels.
Ordering is easy, you can either:
- visit us to choose books yourself, using a hand-held scanner showing that a running total as you select, and immediate availability reports
- let us select stock for you. Tell us how much you want to spend and the type of material you want by email or by completing the autobuy request form at the bottom of the page.
- buy from our online bookshop, Petranet. The website is easy to use - just ask us for a username and password. We also offer 'get you going' Petranet training free.