LibrariesLast updated: 10 April 2014 17:29 UK
Contact your library
- For general enquiries, email email@example.com, or contact us on 023 9281 9311
- Opening times and locations of all Portsmouth libraries are on our contact us page - scroll down to libraries.
Existing library users
What library membership offers
- Join one of many drop-in sessions helping people such as job seekers, those researching family history, people affected by cancer or visually impaired people wanting to use computers.
- Libraries regularly organise special events, and support numerous reading groups around the city. You are also invited to join any of our clubs, such as scrabble clubs or coffee and book time club
- For children, libraries run regular story times and rhyme times, plus special events during school holidays and working with schools on the annual book award
- Keep up-to-date with city library events by following us on Twitter or Facebook or download our What's On guide or The Word newsletters
Online at the library
- Download e-books, audiobooks or music onto your home computer, and even read magazines online
- Free internet access for library members at all branches, and free Wi-Fi at the Central, Southsea, Alderman Lacey, North End and Carnegie libraries. We also offer a range of computer classes for beginners.
Research at the central library
- Libraries can help with business research and a service for entrepreneurs and inventors is being developed at central library
- Portsmouth History Centre houses the City Record Office Archive, as well as local, family and naval history reference material, and the nationally important Charles Dickens and Conan Doyle collections
Discover what Portsmouth City Council libraries can offer you by following the links at the bottom of the page.
Mobile and home library services
The library can also come to you. The mobile library service visits:
- Cosham Drayton, Aldsworth Close: every Friday, 12.15-1.15pm
- Farlington, Old Rectory Road: every Friday, 2.15-3.45pm
- Portsmouth, Anchorage Park Community Centre Car Park: alternate Fridays from 13 September, 4-6pm
For more details of the mobile library service, phone 0845 6035 631.
The home library service can also come to your home if you can't get to the library. If you or the person you care for is unable to visit a library because of disability, illness, frailty or mental health problems, one of our home library volunteers can come to your home to bring or collect books for you.
For more information about the home library service, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 9268 8066.
Office facilities at the library
- Meeting rooms are available for hire at central library. For more details, phone 023 9268 8035 or 023 9268 8037
- Fax, photocopy and laminating services are available at some libraries - see fines and charges leaflet below
Associated documents:Library fines & charges 2014-2015 (0.23 MB)
News and special eventsWhat's on at Portsmouth libraries
Volunteering in libraries
Library membershipLibrary Catalogue
Your library card and renewing & returning items
What you can borrow or download from libraries
Library servicesLibraries welcome children and young people
Computers, the internet and IT training
Cancer information and support at city libraries
Reading groups in Portsmouth
Library reminiscence boxes
Library resources in other languages
School library service
Library services for the visually impaired
Information ServicesInformation and reference services
Portsmouth History Centre & Records Office