Family information serviceLast updated: 18 March 2014 09:20 UK
The family information service (previously Portsmouth Chat) provides tailored information, advice and guidance for families with children from pre-birth to 19 and those working with families.
- scroll down to 'family information service' on our contact us page for address, email and phone numbers
We can guide you through a range of topics including:
- childcare - sourcing childcare, understanding the jargon, accessing financial support to pay for childcare, brokerage to help you obtain a place
- school admissions - key dates, catchment areas, how to apply, making a school preference, understanding school reports.
- leisure opportunities - children's centres, local groups and clubs
- rights for working parents - maternity/paternity leave, flexible working options, taking time off for dependants
- financial entitlements - accessing family benefits (including funding for 2 year olds and early years education for 3 and 4 year olds, completing claim forms, estimating tax credits)
- family support - help you need to make life as a parent/carer run smoothly. Whether you're a new parent, lone parent, new to the area, or simply in need of some advice, we're here to lend a hand.
We also provide information and guidance to practitioners and professionals working with families in Portsmouth, so that they can effectively support parents.
Ask Sherlock is Portsmouth's family service directory - a searchable resource for parents, carers and practitioners looking for childcare and family services.