Portsmouth History Centre & Records OfficeLast updated: 11 February 2014 13:25 UK
The Portsmouth History Centre is on the second floor of Portsmouth Central Library and comprises:
- City Records Office Archive
- library resources on family, local and naval history
- Arthur Conan Doyle and Charles Dickens collections.
- opening hours - Monday 9.30am to 5pm, Tuesday - Thursday 9.30am to 6pm, Friday 9.30am to 5pm, Saturday 10am to 3.30pm, Sunday closed. Contact us for Bank Holiday and Christmas opening times
- accessibility - the History Centre is accessible to wheelchair users with a lift to the second floor
- café - the third floor café is temporarily closed, but food and drink are available in several other venues close to the Central Library.
- toilets - on second and third floors.
You can make enquiries in person at the History Centre, email email@example.com, phone 023 9268 8046 or write to Portsmouth History Centre, Central Library, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2DX.
Using the History Centre
Visitors are asked to comply with the following to protect our collections:
|Signing In||You will be asked to show identification and sign the visitors' book on your arrival. We are members of the County Archive Research Network (CARN) registration scheme. To obtain a CARN ticket, please bring proof of your name and address, such as a driving licence or utility bill. We can also issue Day Tickets.|
|Lockers||Visitors are asked to leave their bags in the lockers provided before going into the History Centre|
|Pencils||Only pencils may be used in the History Centre. Ink blots and biro marks will never come off!|
|Photographs||Ask the staff on duty if you would like to photograph a document. They will give you a photography form to complete.|
|Photocopies||Photocopying is at the staff's discretion, if the condition of the item and copyright regulations permit. Staff will also explain the scale of charges.|
|Food and drink||Eating and drinking is not permitted in the History Centre|
|Microfilm readers or genealogy computers||To book time slots on either microfilm readers or genealogy computers, phone 023 9268 8046.|
Many items are stored at the History Centre but part of the collection is kept off-site:
- items stored off-site should be requested in advance. Please allow up to five working days for them to be made available at the History Centre. Original photographs are usually stored off-site
- documents at the History Centre do not normally require advance booking. However, some records are not available for public consultation.
The documents in the table below are kept at the History Centre and do not normally require advance booking. However, some records will not be available for public consultation either due to their fragile condition or for data protection reasons.
|Records from||Held at Portsmouth History Centre|
|Anglican Churches in the Portsmouth Diocese||Parish records - some are available only on microfilm or microfiche|
|Portsmouth City Council||
|City Librarian's collection (known as 11A)||Documents collected by the City Librarian including settlement certificates, apprenticeship indentures, correspondence and antiquarian papers.|
|Police||Staff and administration records - not records of crimes or criminals|
|Royal Naval & Royal Marines Orphanage||Annual reports|
Links to further informationResources on family, local and naval history
Charles Dickens & Arthur Conan Doyle collections